Happy Pi Day!!! (by Austin)

by admin on March 14, 2011 · 9 comments

SPLAT!!!

No, not that pie.

That pie!

The date is 3/14. Like 3.14! Now do you get it? Unfortunately, there’s no Pi Day parties. ): siiiiiigh But there are weird puns!

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Rebecca and George Duarte March 15, 2011 at 9:58 am

just wait till it 3.14.15 get it!!!! 2015 will make it even better pie number.

2 ben swain March 15, 2011 at 10:16 am

speaking of PIE ……
if you like keylime that is ……

wrong pie …. well here is is anyways… enjoy

crust:
1 1/2 cup honey graham cracker crumbs (I didn’t know there was a difference, but they taste so much better than regular! Superstore, yellow brand)
1/4 cup sugar
zest from one lime
90 mls or 6 tablespoons salted margarine, melted

Combine the crumbs, sugar, and lime zest (on hindsight, I would crush the zest throughout the sugar first). Mix in the melted butter until everything is evenly moist.
Take the crumbs and divide them as equally as you can into a 12 cup nonstick muffin tin. Using a cup that approximately fits the bottom of the tin, push the crumbs down to the bottom. Kind of wiggle the cup around so the crumbs go up the sides a bit. Get your fingers involved if you need to.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes (mine puffed up and freaked me out, but they settled back down when they came out). Allow to cool.

filling:
2 egg yolks
1 can fat free/low fat sweetened condensed milk OR 14 oz homemade sweetened condensed milk (the whole recipe)
1/2 cup key lime juice (the equivalent of exactly one pound of key limes)

Mix the condensed milk and egg yolks together until combined. Add the lime juice and stir to combine. It will thicken up almost instantly.
Pour about 1/2 cup of batter into each graham cracker cup. At first, I didn’t want to go over the crumbs, but I ended up going over a few anyway. No big deal. Cook at 350 for 15 minutes. Cool and chill in the fridge for about an hour.

3 Kim F March 15, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Hey Austin…
When I was in school, we would eat pie on 3/14 at 1:59pm.
did you get to eat pie at 1:59? I too can’t wait for 3/14/15…. but then i’d have to eat pie for breakfast at 9:26!

4 DAD March 16, 2011 at 8:33 am

PI (pie) are both good.

5 admin March 16, 2011 at 8:56 am

Hi Grampa! I agree with you, but I like the one that’s edible better. 🙂

6 admin March 16, 2011 at 8:58 am

Hi Kim! That sounds like an AWESOME school!

7 admin March 16, 2011 at 9:01 am

Congrats, Ben! That was the longest comment I’ve ever seen on our Blog. You broke a world record! You should come HERE and make that recipe for us.

8 admin March 16, 2011 at 9:04 am

Hi George and Becca! We should have a Pi Pie Party that day! (We’ll be back by then.)

9 Rhonda and Carly March 21, 2011 at 11:54 am

Hey Austin!!

Guess what Carly is working on at school right now?? Pi!!!!!! How did you know?
:>) :>)